Friday, December 30, 2011

The Modern Workplace

I think the modern workplace is so varied that the whole objective of productivity is misconstrued.

Basically, I am used to, and still excel in an environment that has a lot of camaraderie, good communication and great teamwork. So, I should technically opt for this as the “ideal working environment”.

But no !

Why?

At one point in time, I used to work well under pressure and used to prefer a fast-paced environment. But now as those bones “creak”, I would opt for a much calmer setting in order to do some of my best work. Now I used to give high priority for dress code and formal environments, but after working in a place that has no “hang-ups” for the business attire – you generally get pulled into the casual environment. This is because, casual environments are more flexible about attire, work hours, and other factors. So personally, I feel that working in an environment where the atmosphere is quite relaxed, friendly and flexible and with a casual dress code to match, brings out the best in you.

Now wait a minute – by casual environment, I don’t mean 6 hour days, with office chair basketball, sushi once a week, shorts and t-shirts, etc., or always having internet access to some great music with a cool speaker system, or an open air refreshment where there is great food always available, or a place with sunlight streaming in from the windows and having state-of-the-art temperature control and designer paintings on the walls !!!

There is no harm in dreaming huh?

So would I be right in saying that my ideal job consists of a workplace where I can grow not only professionally but intellectually. A place where my own ideas are well received and there is room and space for innovative thinking. In other words I would like to have a job where I can "wear many hats" and where my abilities are maximized. And ofcourse, a place where my know-how and work is appreciated vis-à-vis financial gains and economic stability

Although deadlines are fun, it can stress us all out, so it is important to have fun and this can only be achieved in a place that has great camaraderie.

I would also like the option of working from home once a while.

So the bottom-line is that I would like an office with a relaxed atmosphere and a few of the above qualities. In other words, an organization that has some of these qualities and appreciates balance and flexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment